It’s that time again….. time to shake off the excess of Christmas and resolve to make 2016 the year you achieve your fitness and weight loss goals!
Fitness is always having a moment in fashion but active-wear sales are booming, and the active sports category is the fastest-growing segment of the market – research by market intelligence company, Keynote, suggests that sportswear sales in the UK are set to surpass 6 billion pounds by the end of 2015, due to the blurring line between active-wear and high fashion driving up demand.
The report goes on to predict that sportswear sales will total 8.65 billion pounds in 2019, based on current growth rates, and that sales in this category were growing faster than other apparel — they were up 9.5 percent in 2014.
It seems that everywhere we turn gym gear is present and this might just be the beginning. So back to our New Year workout plan… naturally, we’re not going to show up in just any old pair of sweats and as the above proves, having the right workout gear is just as important as the resolution itself.
Up your game with these top tips and look chic running errands post-endorphin high (feeling the burn after walking up five flights counts as a workout, right?):
- Don’t look like a bag of skittles, make sure the colours work and if in doubt, keep it simple and neutral; dressing in one colour can make you feel smart and put together, even when you’re working up a sweat!
- Sports brands love their logos so avoid looking like a press conference backdrop and wear the same brand in one outfit.
- Accessorize! Accessories including bags will actually make it look like you’re going to indulge in sports activity that day…even if you’re not!
- Lycra has snapped back in to style with a vengeance. If you’re child of the 80s, like me, you’ll feel like avoiding it but there’s no denying its form-fitting, streamlining and multi-directional stretching properties made a big difference to your athletic prowess.
- Don’t forget the high street, there’s some really cool-looking kit that looks sleek and performs well.
- Fashion and fitness unite! Brands such as Lululemon, loved by US celebrities such as Rosie Huntington Whiteley, Cameron Diaz and Kim Kardashian, are increasingly seen as a high-fashion-inspired line that women will want to wear for fitness and for fashion.