Posted in General
There’s nothing more satisfying than that much coveted fashion item brought for a fraction of its original price (for me it was a luxury British designed Lamb handbag reduced by a purse-friendly 70%!!) and the record spending during Black Friday, the big sales day in the US, and now the UK, suggests that an increasing number of shoppers are holding out for both pre- and post-Christmas sales.
But do the sales really save us money or do we splurge on things we’d never normally buy just because it’s more than half off? If you’re me, the answer to that question is clearly ‘yes’; I have zero self-control and get ridiculously excited at sale time, not to mention the start of each new season; I’m already looking forward to February, when the first of the Spring Summer 2015 collections will hit shop floors.
But if you’re a savvy shopper and have a list of items that you genuinely need (it’s a great time to pick up some investment pieces such as a classic tailored coat or smart trousers) then sale shopping, especially now, offers some amazing value.
To help you stay one step ahead of the pack, here is an overview of key Spring Summer 2015 trends to inspire your post-Christmas sales shopping list:
Spring Summer 2015
- Denim is continually on trend and for this season it’s about cropped, baggy cuts. Keep tops fitted to create contrast.
- 70s mood; designers continue their fascination with this retro era, look out for flares (see below), jumpsuits and midi-skirts. Groovy baby! (image right: Limited Edition top £35, jean £39.50, shoes £29.50 – all M&S).
- Nothing creates an instantly 70s look than swapping out your skinnies for leg lengthening flares, and where AW14 saw the start of 70s-inspired trousers, SS15 has fully embraced the trend. Look out for the slouchy wide-legged variety.
- Sheer….genius! Sultry transparency becomes spring 2015’s answer to combining the sexy with the demure; show some skin through sheer panels (image below left: Adrianna Papell, fit and flare dress, £140).
- Gingham is the print choice for SS15 but forget cutesy cowgirl or clean-cut flannel; these tiny checks provide a graphic edge on slit-up-to-there dresses, chic knits and cool blouses (image bottom: Hobbs London Madison check dress, £129).
- Monochrome is always a winning combination and to quote Karl Lagerfeld, “Black and white always looks modern….”, but this season give it a twist and opt for interesting textures, patterns and silhouettes.
- Androgyny is back! Add a little masculine touch to your outfit with pleats and shirting (especially shirt dresses).
- Khaki has earned its [military] stripes as a fashion classic, and this season it returns with a bang with everything from sharp army silhouettes to modern safari (image below right: Kaki playsuit £45, Therapy. Palm print khaki top £45, orange ‘Kiki’ tote bag £45, both Linea – all at House of Fraser).
- Flats and trainers; thank the fashion gods, comfortable shoes are here to stay!