“A term applied to several sets of physical and psychological symptoms associated with the arrival of spring”… for me that’s joy, relief and spin-around-your-wardrobe excitement!
It’s been a relentless winter (again) but just recently there have been real signs of spring finally springing; the soul crushing experience of dark mornings/ late afternoons seem to be fading away, bulbs are beginning to emerge from the ground and the sunnier days even (dare I say it), have a hint of Summer about them. There is an undeniable buzz of excitement; finally we can pack away our bulky dark winter clothes and embrace an altogether lighter, brighter and more feminine wardrobe.
The SS17 colour palette dons many shades of blue, accents of orange and invigorating pinks and pops of fuchsias – think pink, but not sugared almond or dusty rose. Tan enhancing white and classic black remain firm fashion favourites, and the collections were punctuated with stripes and florals – the two trusty pillars of the summer print line-up.
We’ve analysed information from a variety of sources and put together a selection of our favourite Spring fashion that’s sure to take over your wardrobe once the weather heats up.
- Flower power. “Florals? For spring? Groundbreaking…” recites every person who has watched The Devil Wears Prada! This season designers have gone full throttle in full blooms…. from head to toe. Images: Floral skirt –Marks and Spencers (top right). Dancing Tulip Silk Maxi Dress, £249 – Jigsaw (top right).
- Super-brights. This season colours are punchy and bright…and separate. Keep your colours blocked, bold and only surpass two (in any one outfit) if you’re feeling super brave.
- Luminous nighttime girl. The 80s is a decade that now seems firmly fixed in our fashion calendar, however this season the essence of the ’80s redux can be found after-dark; from bralets and silhouette-enhancing nipped waists fastened with giant belts, to flirty hemlines balanced out by big shoulders, when it comes to going out there’s much to play with. Time to channel your inner Dynasty goddess and dig out those crystal earrings and sky-high heels!
- Sheer delight. This new wave of sheer dresses is a million miles away from last year’s A-lister “naked dress” obsession i.e. a battle with modesty. Keep it casual by flinging a gossamer-light sheer slip-of-a-thing over jeans and a tee, look for sheer panel detail or embrace your inner-ballerina, the item that personifies this trend is a sheer tulle. Image (right): Dress, £22.99. Jeans, £29.99. Shoes, £29.99 – New Look.
- Keep it simple. From tactile fabrics (micro-pleats through to earthy, luxe, comfortable hessian) to kitten heels and mini bags, if your fashion approach has always been “less is more,” this one’s for you. Image (below right): Dress £79, Label Lab. Mini Bag £32, Therapy London – House of Fraser.
- Statement stripes. From seaside to school to sailor and more, stripes were all over the SS17 catwalks. Whether horizontal, vertical, black and white or in living colour…..the bigger the better! Images (below, from left): Dress £69, Label Lab. Mini Bag £32, Therapy London – House of Fraser. Ria dress, £129. Philippa loafer, £149 – Hobbs.
Just add some more sunshine and you’re all ready for summer.