Posted in General
Yes the festive season has officially begun and the high street is awash with lustre and shine, with metallic tones and sequin embellishments as far as the eye can see.
There’s no doubt that the humble party dress rules the festive season, and we’ve picked out some of our favourites, but we’ve also considered alternative occasion wear options to help you make a stunning style statement, whatever your party plans.
There is life beyond the party dress and this option is especially useful if you have to take an outfit from day to night and want to feel fabulous round the clock. So before you reach for ‘old faithful’ consider re-inventing your separates for maximum impact at the office Christmas party!
- Pair a heavily embellished pencil skirt with flats, a casual t-shirt of fluffy sweater and a laid-back denim jacket, for daytime cool, then swap for heels and a simple vest top when the lights go down. The skirt should be the focus so keep hair simple and make-up subtle.
- Consider a crop top! The midriff was on show all over the runways in September. In order to look elegant, keep waists high, shapes sleek and simple and invest in quality luxurious fabrics.
- A winter white blazer will instantly inject a major dose of chic to your outfit. Wear belted over a sequin or iridescent skirt and finish the look with classic pointy black pumps and a smoky eye.
Beyond the obvious comfort (and I can tell you that they really are SO comfortable), the jumpsuit is a very versatile alternative to the party dress, one I was recently reintroduced to at a personal shopping session, successfully reigniting my love affair with this not-so-humble option.
- Make sure you show some skin at the ankles, wrist and the décolletage (this also applies when wearing a trouser suit).
- A jumpsuit should be loosely draped around the body, avoid material that’s too clingy. If you’ve got curves then accentuate your waist with a belt and choose a block colour. If you’re tall and slim then give a standout print style like darkly decadent florals, a try.
- A black jumpsuit in elegant materials like satin or silk can easily substitute for a little black dress at Christmas parties and beyond.
- Consider the neckline, which create the focus on an all-in-one. If you’re feeling brave opt for a plunge neck and add interest with a peak of lace or sequin embellishment via a longline bra.
Whatever your choice of outfit, if you sit firmly in the ‘when in doubt, wear black’ camp, keep an eye out for interesting shapes and textures, there are a lot about this season, and mix them up, and don’t be afraid to experiment with shapes such as peplum or fit and flare.
It’s party time!