Not a big talker? Need to make an apology having said something you regret? Let your clothing do it for you! There’s one major trend that keeps (re)hitting the fashion scene, and that’s logo tees and shouty slogans.
Who can forget Kim Sears’ playful response after her manners were questioned during last years French Open final, when she appeared to swear on camera in the direction of Andy Murray’s opponent Tomas Berdych?
She approached potential controversy with a sense of humour and ‘aced it’ by entertaining the crowds instead with her ‘Parental Advisory: Explicit Content’ jumper instead. Genius. (Image: Photo: Vincent Thian, AP)
Celebrities have been using the slogan tee medium to communicate their inner thoughts for years; Rihanna, Britney Spears, Katie Price and Peter Andre have all made a statement without saying a word; who can forget ‘Team Katie’ versus ‘Team Peter’ or (my favourite) ‘Don’t Hassel the Hoff’!
Casual but funky, you can’t deny that slogans add fun to an outfit and make your casual tee and jeans look cooler (yes, they really do). So whether you like wearing your heart on your sleeve or just want to make a cheeky statement (a la Kim), follow our top tips on how to word up in style!
- If you’re going to go slogan think about what you want to say, it’s not worth upsetting or alienating people; if you wouldn’t wear it in front of your boss or 5-year old nephew, then that is probably a good indication not to wear it outside of the house.
- A single, subtle message whispers good taste; leave the head-to-toe letting to billboards (or the VERY young!).
- Keep styling simple and let the t-shirt (quite literally) do the talking.
- Top a slogan T-shirt off with skinny jeans and trainers for easy daytime styling, elevate the look with block heeled sandals and a statement bag for evening.
- Pair with a pencil skirt and heeled sandals, perfect for smart casual events.
- Have fun with prints on accessories too; summer is the perfect season to show off your quirky and playful side.